9 Jan 2009

Poem that received a Highly Commended award in the WARM Writing Competition 2010

This poem expressed my emotions following the death of a close friend. As I have said before I am not a poet, however at the moment, poetry is all I am writing.

Breath

Breath is all that separates,
Me from you,
Now…
So often lately,
I have to remind myself to exhale,
My torso holding my breath in,
Like an unconscious desire,
I have to tell my body to release the air.
Let it escape there.

Cause deep down I know,
It is this simple thing,
These air vapours passing across my tongue,
They are all
That separates me from you.

You lay on the road,
Your life was going,
That day I became breathless,
For no real reason,
But now I know why,
Cause you were leaving,
My body knew.

And now I remind myself,
Breathe, Sue,
Breathe…
Cause sometimes somewhere deep,
I must remember,
It’s all that separates me from you.

4 comments:

S R Gurtner said...

I totally get the New Year's Resolution thing, but this year I'm determined to stick to mine. Over Christmas I read Hemingway's "A Moveable Feast", about his time as a writer in Paris. He creates such rich characters that you always feel slightly disappointed when the story ends.

Suzanne G Strong said...

Yeah me too.

I read A Moveable Feast about a year ago. I loved it.

I love how Hemingway brings you so close to these people and they are quirky and have major problems but you feel compassion for them.

Definitely like you said at the end of the novel you don't want to say goodbye to the characters always a good sign.

You should read The Sun Also Rises as well. His first novel and it is the same, amazing!

Happy New Year see you on your blog.
su

Suzanne G Strong said...

I see New Year's as a way to reset your goals and I like to look at the big picture at this time of year.

I don't have little resolutions like giving up a bad habit, I like to look at big dreams and goals. And I definitely keep these going throughout the year.

Sometimes the year gets tiresome, but it's a great time to go over the good things that happened in the year.

Great to see you again Skye. One of these days we will have another writers coffee/lunch and I will meet you in person.
:)

S R Gurtner said...

I will definitely grab 'The Sun Also Rises'. Beginning a Masters of English this year I'm trying to read everything I can get my hands on. My daughters therapy begins again this week after a blessed month off so it's going to be a busy year.