7 Mar 2007

Self Published on Blurb.com

Hello again everyone

I recently used www.blurb.com to design and put together a collection of my short stories. You know when you get sick of being rejected by journals and competitions and you think, "insert appropriate word here" I just want to see my stories presented nicely, together in a book, because you like them and think they are the best work you have done to date.

Well, I felt like this recently and stumbled upon blurb.com that allows you to download some software and design your own book. Then when you have finalised it and checked it and printed it out you can order the book through the website. Of course it is not cheap and you have to pay a courier from the US, but at this point I thought it was worth it for me.

Sometimes we need to see our work presented in a form where others can access it, purchase it even, definitely where it can be read in a nicely designed and attractive way. That was what I was craving.

I believe I will most likely do this with my novel I am working on at the moment as well. Maybe with www.lulu.com that has a bit more freedom of where you can put the PDF of your book etc. But for authors like me who have not been able to focus on their work seriously for a considerable amount of time (due to having to work for a living and support a family, at times) it is necessary to keep the creative flow happening.

If we simply write in anonymity then we do not value our work and thus it does not go out into the world and we do not discover the strengths and weaknesses of our work!

That's what I believe anyway.

Unfortunately, due to my recent moving and work commitments and family I have not put much time into my novel, which I plan, now that my time is bit more free, to rectify.

Sometimes we question whether our creative output is worth anything in the end. But we cannot deny our unquenchable desire to create. We can reflect the Divine when we create and that is why I wish to continue creating and why I think it has value in our universe, even though everyone seems to want to put a bottom line to everything!!!

Enough rambling from me. Happy creating.

2 comments:

Barbara Flowers said...

Hi Suzanne - it's interesting to read this post. I've been thinking of doing something similar, only I'd get the publishing done locally (there are little publishing firms that don't charge a lot) and then release them into the wild as free books on trains or park benches or in libraries etc. regards Barbara

Suzanne G Strong said...

Sounds great, Barbara. Maybe I'll find one on a park bench in the Botanical Gardens in Brisbane! What a pleasure! Funny, how we were thinking about the same thing.