29 Mar 2007

Beach house escape

Hey everyone

I have just returned from a holiday on the Northern NSW coast, a little town just outside Yamba. Our view was the dark green of the national park and rolling white waves breaking in vivid magnificence not too far away.

We stayed in a gorgeous bungalow wooden house filled with French antiques and interesting quirky things like a room outside with a looking tower and a rustic wooden cabin below with double bed and television.

It was quiet in this tiny town. Not school holidays yet. The pristine beach and the clear cool waters were virtually deserted. A luxury I revelled in, living in Queensland, I hate how there are crowds on every beach possible. We played and boogie boarded in the waves.

Apart from this I read Bob Dylan's Chronicles and loved it! It was great to read about an artist and how it all happened for him. In this little cottage with the wind whistling through the spaces in the wood - I could see myself writing a novel here. It was so still and serene - I lay out in the sun on the wooden deck. (I did get sunburnt by accident). I don't know if any of you have retreated to write a novel or anything as glamourous as that, I have not had the opportunity yet, but here - with the French atmosphere inside (and French surfing magazines as the owners were French) - made me feel as though I was living in my own little cultured oasis. A beautiful one, where you could have peace and write a piece of work you'd be satisfied with.

It was great. As everyone always says, refreshing to get away. Especially with interesting reading matter.

So I am a little more inspired for my novel now. Have started thinking about my main character again. There is a great quote in the notes from the YON course that says: "If you're novel doesn't keep you up at night, then it won't keep your readers up either." Something to that effect anyway. It is starting to interest me again, maybe its because I had mental space again. Anyway - I think the pressure of the novel course is good too, because now we are getting down to talking about our novels and I am wanting to get back into it and use some of the things I am learning.

Does anyone else have any novel frustrations or triumphs? Thanks for reading. More later.

No comments: