11 Jul 2010

Poem that received a Highly Commended award in the WARM Writing Competition 2010

This poem expressed my emotions following the death of a close friend. As I have said before I do not consider myself a poet, however at the moment, poetry is all I am writing.

Breath

Breath is all that separates,
Me from you,
Now…
So often lately,
I have to remind myself to exhale,
My torso holding my breath in,
Like an unconscious desire,
I have to tell my body to release the air,
Let it escape there.

Cause deep down I know,
It is this simple thing,
These air vapours passing across my tongue,
They are all
That separates me from you.

You lay on the road,
Your life was going,
That day I became breathless,
For no real reason,
But now I know why,
Cause you were leaving,
My body knew.

And now I remind myself,
Breathe, Sue,
Breathe…
Cause sometimes somewhere deep,
I must remember,
It’s the only thing separating me from you.

No comments: