5 Jun 2008

Lost some of my work...

Don't you hate it when you have written something you are really happy with and then you discover you have saved over it or lost it? Well that is what has happened to me. A part of my novel that I enjoyed writing has now disappeared. Dissipated out into the air. The words, letters that created the piece have gone. 

I want to be like Peter Carey and Ernest Hemmingway who didn't care. Peter Carey said he routinely threw out good writing to challenge himself to do even better work and Ernest Hemmingway in A Moveable Feast lost his whole first novel, left it in manuscript form in a taxi. He didn't care that much. They had a robust attitude to their writing and didn't believe in holding onto things. I will get to that soon. I will write the piece again and it will hopefully be better than it was before. That is very possible- everything needs work after the first draft anyway. 

Anyway I wanted to write this blog, knowing there will be other writers who have had this happen and can empathise with me. One must let go and hold our pieces lightly. If I wrote it once I can challenge myself to do it again. 

4 comments:

Barbara Flowers said...

Bummer! (is that an old 60s word or what?). Christina Stead mislaid the entire manuscript of her first collection of short stories (The Salzburg Tales I think). I always imagined she left it on a train in Europe but.. that could just be me. Anyway, onwards and upwards!! I've been reading your other posts with enjoyment, but never seem to have the time to really sit down and write a comment. Today I'm at work so.. broadband (that helps). I enjoyed the Paul Auster et al book club get together too and thought PA was rather sexy in a macho, NY-writer kind of way. Can't say the other two had that effect on me. TTFN Barbara

Suzanne G Strong said...

I agree about Paul Auster I thought he was attractive as well. He seemed like a genuine sort of guy. Thanks for your comment. I am glad you have been reading. I am trying to write some more now. I read your post on the writing course in Sydney with interest. I am embarking on the QUT course next semester.

anyway, good to see you Barbara maybe we can catch up in person again soon.
(:

S R Gurtner said...

When I was doing my Masters Thesis my computer crashed and I lost a months worth of work. I always back up now.

Suzanne G Strong said...

Wow. That would really be bad.

I will remember that for future.

:)