7 Apr 2008

My book in the library...


Hello again,

I haven't blogged for a while, a lot is going on in my life.

My book A Pocket Full of Poesy is now in my local library, in the local author section and in the Non Fiction Poetry section of the shelves in two libraries. It is nice to see my book on the shelves.

I know a lot of people do not respect self publishing and I never did either. It was when I discovered a literary journal who published on lulu.com that I started to look into it further. Then I realised how I could publish work that was not accepted elsewhere and see if people enjoyed reading it as well as feeling like I had accomplished something. I first published my short stories and people really liked them. I also discovered that a number of bookshops (independent) will take books on consignment. These have been all good discoveries to make through this process.

It is a confidence boost to publish your own work. A number of famous authors have self published their books at some point in their careers, some of these include; Margaret Atwood, William Blake, Lord Byron, Willa Cather, Stephen Crane, e.e. cummings, W.E.B. DuBois, Alexander Dumas, T.S. Eliot, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Benjamin Franklin, Zane Grey, Thomas Hardy, E. Lynn Harris, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Ernest Hemingway, Robinson Jeffers, Spencer Johnson, Stephen King, Rudyard Kipling, Louis L'Amour, D.H. Lawrence, Anais Nin, Thomas Paine, Tom Peters, Edgar Allen Poe, Alexander Pope, Beatrix Potter, Ezra Pound, Marcel Proust, Irma Rombauer, Carl Sandburg, Robert Service, George Bernard Shaw, Percy Bysshe Shelley, Upton Sinclair, Gertrude Stein, William Strunk, Alfred Lord Tennyson, Henry David Thoreau, Leo Tolstoi, Mark Twain, Walt Whitman, and Virginia Woolf.

I find this heartening. There is a stigma towards self publishing but it does not mean that a writer is not good at their craft, as we can see with the list above. (It does not mean it will be great writing either, I am just saying the format doesn't dictate the quality of the work.)

Having been around the band scene for a long time and having two partners who were in bands and produced their own CDs and sold them, I began to wonder why authors could not try to do the same thing. In the music world on Myspace there are a number of talented musicians who write really good songs and produce and market the cds themselves and sell to a small but devoted fan base. I believe there are some people who self publish who are quality writers. Maybe they haven't found a publisher who wants what they write (JK Rowling took ten years to find a publisher willing to publish her Harry Potter books) why we are so scared to take matters into our own hands?

Self publishing means you can write what you want and if you are serious you will make it the best piece of work possible. The stigma against self publishing is still real and though the standard of self published work can be low, it can also have gems within its range. I simply wanted to move forward in my work and expose it to as many people as possible, through my own means. All I would like to say is don't right people off who publish on the web or who self publish, it does not mean they are good or bad. Read their work and see for yourself.

I would recommend self publishing- it gives an author a sense of accomplishment, whilst you are writing the novel or waiting the many months before you receive the rejection letters. In this process you can achieve something and keep the book forever. Those of us who choose to self publish are in good company shown by the author list above. And for those of us who wish to put our art out into the world and not wait for someone to discover us, self publishing is a perfect and acceptable way to do this.

Everyone creates art so that others can see, read, touch, hear and experience their work. Self publishing for authors is like an exhibition for a painter, maybe someone important will notice your abilities, but even if they don't you will be communicating with people through your work.
The great thing is people will get to read your work which is what we want. I have people who have read my stories and poetry from all over the world and around Australia. Internet story websites are also really good for exposure as well. Anyway, enough of my ranting. Thanks for reading. All the best for your creative endeavours whatever they may be.

6 comments:

The Book Midwife said...

Well said, Suzanne! I really like your take on this subject. The best statement is "read their work and see for yourself". It reminded me of the many awful books I've read in the past that were put out by "proper" publishers. Thanks for sharing your opinions and keep flying the flag!

Mindy Gibbins-Klein
www.bookmidwife.com

Suzanne G Strong said...

Thanks a lot Mindy.
suzanne

Nocatster said...

Suzanne, like the exhibition comparison. Especially if you think of self publishing as a non-juried show.Your readers would be interested in Brioprint a commercial book publisher that goes the extra distance with authors, they just did a The Do’s & Don’ts of Self Publishing .It would be worth checking out , the information is good.

Barbara Flowers said...

Excellent post Suzanne, in the end we write to be read and who cares where - in the bath, on the train, on the net.. I've been so immersed in my various writing courses lately I've had no time to read your blog, and I still have 2 weeks of the Writers Studio left. I'm a bit over the whole self-expression thing I have to say. Gotham was much tougher and expected stories, structure, good critiques etc. I think writing has to be strong technically, not just an avenue for ones feelings. See you soon, regards Barbara

Suzanne G Strong said...

I agree Barbara, about the self expression thing. I remember years ago Peter Carey said he never wrote for self expression he only wanted to write a good story and do it well. I always remembered that and tried to focus on writing a good narrative and doing it in a interesting way. I do think our personal journeys will creep into our narratives and the stories we choose to write but to sit down and just write for self expression, I don't know. I think there needs to be a lot more happening in the story than just self expression.

Thanks for taking the time to read I can tell you are busy. It will be good to hear about the Syd course you are doing next time we can catch up.
cheers
suzanne

Anonymous said...

Hey Suzanne, you make such a good point - I was in a few bands in my teens and early twenties and didn't think twice about publishing my own CD's.

I like the fact that now, with blogging, MySpace, and so on, the writing world is really opening up, just as the music world did with the advent of MP3's.